GolfHos
 
*
November 20, 2019, 04:43:14 AM
Username: Password: Duration:

range rates/features

 
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: range rates/features  (Read 2397 times)
0 Members and 1 Lurker/Spider are viewing this topic.
Aske
Lederhosen

Karma: 120
Posts: 31318
Offline Offline


View ProfileIgnore this user
range rates/features
« on: October 12, 2006, 06:26:31 PM »

around here, this time of year

$10/100 balls outside on mats under heaters
$12/90 balls indoors in 100 yard dome off mats

 Undecided
Logged Return to Top

Quote
Russia has invaded a sovereign neighboring state and threatens a democratic government elected by its people. Such an action is unacceptable in the 21st century.
--  Chimpy McFlightsuit, CEO of Bu$hco Industries of 'Merka
dystopia
Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
From: Silicon Valley

Karma: 94
Posts: 7887
Offline Offline


View Profile WWWIgnore this user
Re: range rates/features
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 10:39:45 PM »

At the range I frequent, I usually get a small bucket (~30) is $5.

I like to go when it's not very crowded, so I spend about half of my time at the short-game area.  Then I spend about 1/4 of my time hitting those balls into the range with full swings, and finish with 1/4 of my time on the putting green.
Logged Return to Top
MP
Vest & Plus Fours
From: CA

Karma: 7
Posts: 725
Offline Offline

One in the pink two in the stink!

View ProfileIgnore this user
Re: range rates/features
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 11:43:26 PM »

$4 for 40
$7 for 100

this other place i used to go to (before i moved) was $20 for 6 tokens...each token w/ 50 balls, and during happy hour (5-7 pm) each token gives out 75 balls.
Logged Return to Top
spacey
Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
From: Group W Bench

Karma: 98
Posts: 7720
Offline Offline


View ProfileIgnore this user
Re: range rates/features
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 11:01:08 AM »

We pay about $6 for a full bucket of balls. Most ranges don't offer a lot of amenities. I don't think we have any indoor ranges, but we do have one with covers/mats/heaters that is open year round.

The only thing I hate more than hitting balls on a range is hitting balls on a range off of mats. I almost never go to the driving range.
Logged Return to Top
MP
Vest & Plus Fours
From: CA

Karma: 7
Posts: 725
Offline Offline

One in the pink two in the stink!

View ProfileIgnore this user
Re: range rates/features
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 10:41:08 PM »

unless its a fancy course, i hate the grass ranges.  it's pretty much 60% divot mix poured about everywhere and the other 40% are unfilled divots.  it feels like hitting out of a sandtrap for everyshot and my 7 iron usually ends up going about 40 yards chunked.   Disgusted
Logged Return to Top
dystopia
Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
From: Silicon Valley

Karma: 94
Posts: 7887
Offline Offline


View Profile WWWIgnore this user
Re: range rates/features
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 11:06:43 AM »

unless its a fancy course, i hate the grass ranges.  it's pretty much 60% divot mix poured about everywhere and the other 40% are unfilled divots.  it feels like hitting out of a sandtrap for everyshot and my 7 iron usually ends up going about 40 yards chunked.   Disgusted

I feel your pain.

I just moved to a new house recently, so I have a different bunch of ranges to choose from now.  At my old range, they moved the hitting line forwards and backwards often enough that you always had nice grass to hit off of.  I really improved my iron play there by focusing on hitting down and creating a line of divots.

But in my new area, most of the ranges have mats, and the one that has grass is a lot like you describe, full of divot mix and sand and not pleasant at all. Sad

Logged Return to Top
spacey
Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
From: Group W Bench

Karma: 98
Posts: 7720
Offline Offline


View ProfileIgnore this user
Re: range rates/features
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 01:22:41 PM »

One of the primary reasons I don't like hitting at the range is that with the exception of tee shots, it's damn near impossible to simulate a lie you'll see on the course 90% of the time. If you need practice hitting off bare dirt or out of filled divots, then the range is most certainly helpful. I don't feel like hitting off of mats simulates a real shot either.

I'd rather practice on the course. Then again, sometimes practicing on the course requires taking a second shot, improving a lie, etc. So I suppose I am not playing real golf. I guess I'll have to come up with another term for it.
Logged Return to Top
Aske
Lederhosen

Karma: 120
Posts: 31318
Offline Offline


View ProfileIgnore this user
Re: range rates/features
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 03:28:39 PM »

One of the primary reasons I don't like hitting at the range is that with the exception of tee shots, it's damn near impossible to simulate a lie you'll see on the course 90% of the time. If you need practice hitting off bare dirt or out of filled divots, then the range is most certainly helpful. I don't feel like hitting off of mats simulates a real shot either.

I'd rather practice on the course. Then again, sometimes practicing on the course requires taking a second shot, improving a lie, etc. So I suppose I am not playing real golf. I guess I'll have to come up with another term for it.

i used to feel the same about mats.

and trust me, i agree they don't offer everything you see on the course, and on top of it, they can 'reward' bad shots.

but**  if you can pure (and i do mean pure) a shot off a mat consistently (80% or more)with your wedges, your short game on the course will improve dramatically.
Logged Return to Top

Quote
Russia has invaded a sovereign neighboring state and threatens a democratic government elected by its people. Such an action is unacceptable in the 21st century.
--  Chimpy McFlightsuit, CEO of Bu$hco Industries of 'Merka
Pages: [1]   Return to Top
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Related Posts
Covers...
and yes, vinyl often sounds 'warmer' because it is both continuous and
by Aske

Things That Annoy the Crap Out Of Me...
I just got my house rates the other day and thought that they weren't to ba
by Jules

wow.
Ah - but they don't both pay 20% - thats the dig.  Specifically, the $
by hobbit

WTF????? $40-80k/year for family HMO in New York?
It's the same thing when you have an industry association trying to set up
by Spartan

 


 
  Powered by SMF | SMF © 2001-2009, Lewis Media

Dilber MC Theme by HarzeM